Mule ESB and the NoSuchMethodError: org.mule.util.ClassUtils.getClass exception

Currently I am adding some SAML related functionality to a Mule3 implementation of one of our clients. To work with the SAML objects I make use of the OpenSAML library that is provided here as open source.
I added the following dependencies to my pom.xml to make it work:

<!-- SAML dependencies -->
<dependency>
  <groupId>org.opensaml</groupId>
  <artifactId>opensaml</artifactId>
  <version>2.5.1-1</version>
</dependency>
<dependency>
  <groupId>joda-time</groupId>
  <artifactId>joda-time</artifactId>
  <version>2.1</version>
</dependency>
<dependency>
  <groupId>org.opensaml</groupId>
  <artifactId>openws</artifactId>
  <version>1.4.2-1</version>
</dependency>
<dependency>
  <groupId>org.opensaml</groupId>
  <artifactId>xmltooling</artifactId>
  <version>1.3.2-1</version>
  <exclusions>
    <exclusion>
      <artifactId>log4j-over-slf4j</artifactId>
      <groupId>org.slf4j</groupId>
    </exclusion>
  </exclusions>
</dependency>
<dependency>
  <groupId>org.slf4j</groupId>
  <artifactId>slf4j-log4j12</artifactId>
  <version>1.7.2</version>
</dependency>

However, after adding these dependencies and running a test with the Mule instance I received this exception:

java.lang.NoSuchMethodError: org.mule.util.ClassUtils.getClass(Ljava/lang/String;Z)Ljava/lang/Class;
at org.mule.util.ClassUtils.initializeClass(ClassUtils.java:356)
at org.mule.lifecycle.NotificationLifecycleObject.(NotificationLifecycleObject.java:45)
at org.mule.lifecycle.phases.MuleContextStopPhase.(MuleContextStopPhase.java:66)
at org.mule.lifecycle.phases.MuleContextStopPhase.(MuleContextStopPhase.java:56)
at org.mule.lifecycle.RegistryBrokerLifecycleManager.registerPhases(RegistryBrokerLifecycleManager.java:43)
at org.mule.lifecycle.RegistryLifecycleManager.(RegistryLifecycleManager.java:57)
at org.mule.lifecycle.RegistryBrokerLifecycleManager.(RegistryBrokerLifecycleManager.java:33)
at org.mule.registry.AbstractRegistryBroker.(AbstractRegistryBroker.java:37)
at org.mule.registry.DefaultRegistryBroker.(DefaultRegistryBroker.java:27)
at org.mule.DefaultMuleContext.createRegistryBroker(DefaultMuleContext.java:159)
at org.mule.DefaultMuleContext.(DefaultMuleContext.java:150)
at org.mule.context.DefaultMuleContextBuilder.buildMuleContext(DefaultMuleContextBuilder.java:89)
at org.mule.context.DefaultMuleContextFactory.buildMuleContext(DefaultMuleContextFactory.java:199)
at org.mule.context.DefaultMuleContextFactory.doCreateMuleContext(DefaultMuleContextFactory.java:189)
at org.mule.context.DefaultMuleContextFactory.createMuleContext(DefaultMuleContextFactory.java:75)
at org.mule.tck.AbstractMuleTestCase.createMuleContext(AbstractMuleTestCase.java:520)
at org.mule.tck.AbstractMuleTestCase.setUp(AbstractMuleTestCase.java:446)
at junit.framework.TestCase.runBare(TestCase.java:132)
at org.mule.tck.AbstractMuleTestCase.runBare(AbstractMuleTestCase.java:301)
at junit.framework.TestResult$1.protect(TestResult.java:110)
at junit.framework.TestResult.runProtected(TestResult.java:128)
at junit.framework.TestResult.run(TestResult.java:113)
at junit.framework.TestCase.run(TestCase.java:124)
at org.mule.tck.AbstractMuleTestCase.run(AbstractMuleTestCase.java:280)
at junit.framework.TestSuite.runTest(TestSuite.java:232)
at junit.framework.TestSuite.run(TestSuite.java:227)
at org.junit.internal.runners.JUnit38ClassRunner.run(JUnit38ClassRunner.java:83)
at org.apache.maven.surefire.junit4.JUnit4Provider.execute(JUnit4Provider.java:264)
at org.apache.maven.surefire.junit4.JUnit4Provider.executeTestSet(JUnit4Provider.java:153)
at org.apache.maven.surefire.junit4.JUnit4Provider.invoke(JUnit4Provider.java:124)
at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:39)
at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:25)
at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:597)
at org.apache.maven.surefire.util.ReflectionUtils.invokeMethodWithArray2(ReflectionUtils.java:208)
at org.apache.maven.surefire.booter.ProviderFactory$ProviderProxy.invoke(ProviderFactory.java:158)
at org.apache.maven.surefire.booter.ProviderFactory.invokeProvider(ProviderFactory.java:86)
at org.apache.maven.surefire.booter.ForkedBooter.runSuitesInProcess(ForkedBooter.java:153)
at org.apache.maven.surefire.booter.ForkedBooter.main(ForkedBooter.java:95)

Which was weird because I wouldn’t expect OpenSAML libraries to influence the org.mule.util package! After googling around I discovered that the exception is caused when an older version of Apache commons-lang is being put on the classpath. So by excluding this dependency from the project the issue was fixed:

<dependency>
  <groupId>org.opensaml</groupId>
  <artifactId>opensaml</artifactId>
  <version>2.5.1-1</version>
  <exclusions>
    <exclusion>
      <artifactId>commons-lang</artifactId>
      <groupId>commons-lang</groupId>
    </exclusion>
  </exclusions>
</dependency>

Just too bad that the message looks like to suggest there is something wrong with the Mule libraries. With this exclusion in place the ‘commons-lang-2.1.jar’ is not added to the classpath but the ‘commons-lang-2.4.jar’ which is expected by Mule to be available.

About Pascal Alma

Pascal is a senior software developer and architect. Pascal has been designing and building applications since 2001. He is particularly interested in Open Source toolstack (Mule, Spring Framework, JBoss) and technologies like Web Services, SOA and Cloud technologies. Lately he is having great fun by building iOS apps with Swift. Specialties: JEE AWS XML/XSD/XSLT Web Services/SOA Mule ESB/ WSO2 ESB Maven Cloud Technology Swift/ iOS
This entry was posted in Mule3, SAML and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.